Friday, January 18, 2013

Paleo Chocolate Cake

What's up paleo nerds? Hello! Anybody out there? Probably not, considering this is my first post. Okay. Great start.

Well, let's see. My first post. For some reason, it doesn't surprise me that my first post is about chocolate cake. Who doesn't like a good chocolate cake, right? Well, as I have started this paleo adventure, one thing I have missed for sure have been sweets. I'm a HUGE baker. I adore cookies, cakes, and everything in between. Before this lifestyle change happened I was baking weekly and there were always sweets around. Sounds great, doesn't it? Well, it was...until I stepped on the scale and saw a number I had never seen before. That's when I decided it was time to change. My dad had told me about this "paleo" diet and how he wanted to try it out, so I then took initiative and said, "LET'S DO THIS!" I then informed my boyfriend of our little plan, who graciously accepted the invitation to our new adventure. 

I'm two weeks in to the diet, and I have been CRAVING (that's understatement, by the way) chocolate cake like no other. I ventured out to buy some coconut flour at Whole Foods, and low and behold, there it was gleaming in all of it's glory...Bob's Red Mill Coconut Flour. I grabbed the little bag and went home, happier than a pig in you-know-what.

First recipe I try is off a random blog I found via googling "coconut flour paleo brownies"... let's just say these puppies were very dry and kind of bland. I then thought to myself, "Self, why not make your own chocolatey paleo dessert?"and did just that. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you my recipe for the yummiest, most moist chocolate cake you will ever consume...EVER. Yes. It's paleo. Don't let that scare you if you're not a caveman/woman...it's really great. Take my word for it...and follow the instructions I leave you with.

Disclaimer: The picture is not so pretty...I dug in before I could even get a decent picture of the cake, and I had to use my phone because the nice camera's battery was dead. Of course. Just take my word for it, and don't let my foolish instagram photo I snapped AFTER I took a bite of the deliciousness in front of me stray you away. Just embark on this chocolatey journey and swim in the sea of the sweetness that it led you to. Enough of the talkin', GET BAKIN'! 


Paleo Chocolate Cake

Ingredients: 
1/3 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 packets of stevia (or 1 tablespoon if you're not using packets)
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 eggs
1/3 cup raw honey
1/4 cup MELTED coconut oil
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees fahrenheit and grease up an 8x8 cake/brownie pan with some coconut oil

2. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together your coconut flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, stevia, baking soda, baking powder, and salt

3. In a small bowl, with an electric mixer, mix your eggs, raw honey, MELTED coconut oil (did I mention you should melt the coconut oil?), vanilla, and almond milk

4. Combine wet and dry ingredients

5. Mix em up with your electric mixer

6. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean

*If you would like a thicker cake, you can use a smaller pan
*Feel free to omit the stevia, it just added the perfect amount of sweetness for me
*I added some gluten free dark chocolate chips and just sprinkled them right on top, this is optional...but come on, let's be honest, you'll love it.
*One last asterisk...don't be afraid to double the recipe if you want even more chocolate lovin'!

This is a very chocolatey cake. I didn't put a frosting on it. Partially because I haven't ventured in to making a paleo friendly frosting (this will be my next endeavor). In my opinion though, this cake is sweet enough that you can eat it without frosting!

Enjoy!

Eat primal, be happy :)

Maria


2 comments:

  1. Hey, you're new. I'll be your fan! ; ) Does your blog have a page on FaceBook?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think you could substitute almond flour and it would work?

    ReplyDelete