Saturday, January 19, 2013

Strawberry Banana Almond Milk Smoothie

Hello friends! Today was a good day. On Friday, I spent the night in the city with my best friend Jessa, and my boyfriend Sammy came to pick me up in the morning.

Last night, Jessa, her roommates and I played Quelf and indulged in some wine. If you haven't played Quelf, I highly suggest finding a way to play. It's a ridiculous board game full of all sorts of silly rules and actions each player has to make. I am proud to say as everyone was eating chips, I ate a nice big bowl of grapes. STRONG. I AM STRONG.

Anyway, when Sammy and I got back to my house this morning, we had some eggs scrambled with skirt steak and onions, and I decided to make a smoothie. Let me tell you, smoothies have become my best friend on this diet. They're so simple, quick, and HEALTHY. Smoothies are also a great way to sneak in your fruit servings if you're not so keen on that. It almost tastes like a milkshake for those of you who have dairy withdrawal and/or miss ice cream dearly. Anywho, today I'll go through the steps to a simple strawberry banana paleo friendly smoothie! What's awesome about this, is that you can really sub in any fruits you want, just use the almond milk as your base.

Ingredients:
1 cup Frozen Strawberries
1 medium banana (NOT frozen)
1 cup almond milk

If your strawberries are not yet frozen, you can wash them, cut the stems off, and freeze them in an airtight container. Once those are ready (or if they're already frozen), you can combine all ingredients in your blender and blend away! What's perfect about the frozen berries is that you don't have to add ice to your smoothie to make it thick, and your smoothie doesn't get all watered down and nasty. The frozen berries give it the perfect thickness in my opinion.

Making a smoothie in the morning is a great filling breakfast and it's perfect to take it on the go in a portable tumbler cup! If you're not a strawberry or banana fan, you can always use frozen blueberries, peaches, or any other fruit you can possibly think of freezing. I really enjoy making up different combinations of fruit. I would also recommend a strawberry and peach combo. Tastes like the beach.

I didn't really get a chance to snap a pic of anything for today, but it's such a basic recipe I use almost every day, that I completely disregarded the fact that my post was going to be on a smoothie. It's a real simple process and I think you people can trust that my recipe is reliable. It's really hard to mess this kind of thing up. You can do it. I have faith.

Anyway, after our smoothie escapade, Sammy and I had dinner with my family, and my dad made steak fajitas without the tortilla part...so basically steak, red peppers, poblano peppers, and onions. Super simple, super yummy. After that, we went out to celebrate our friend Rachel's birthday. So much fun! We went to the Ram, and Sammy and I went hard on the water tonight. I mean, we drank A LOT of H2o...ON THE ROCKS. Yeah. That's right. Paleo probs to the max. It was wonderful. Seriously though, we had a ton of fun, and it was great to be with good friends and celebrate Rachel's birthday.

Anyone have some interesting fruit combinations to throw in a simple almond milk smoothie? Leave a comment! I'd love to hear what you people have to say.

Be well. Eat well.

Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment